Sunday, May 18, 2008

Microfinance Mascot?

This is Chip. (Full name: Chocolate Chip)

What does Chip have to do with microfinance, you may ask?
More than you might think!

When I go to San Pedro de Casta and Arahuay in just a few weeks, not only will I be alone (translation: lonely and scared) but I might appear foreign and strange (rightly so, eh?) coming to offer these people money with no strings attached. That is where Chip comes in. A dog companion solves 2 of these problems at once. Not only will she provide me with company, but he'll make me appear more friendly and inviting--which will help assuage people's fears and will encourage them to come up to me, if only to pet my super-adorable dog. Accordingly, I've arranged to adopt Chip (formerly "Vacky") from ALDEA, a humane society in Lima.

More on Chocolate Chip to come. Also, only 18 more days until I arrive in Lima!

No comments: